Windows 10 Update - Anyone else loose access?

BQretired

Retired Site Admin
Lifetime VIP
Reaction score
Well, after updating Windows 10, not only has my desktop reverted back to the Windows bitmap image, I have lost access to all my folders from where I make contributions, and downloads! I click on File Explorer, all of my Downloads (except for 1 that I downloaded a few minutes ago) and all Videos using screen recording do not show up. :eek: :cry:

Also, have lost a few programs, too (Icons on not on the desktop).

Based on a review of my C drive, I am pretty sure they are still there, though.

Any ideas as to what happened? And, how to fix it?

Also, lost password saver. So, IG, and other p/w sites require either a p/w reset, or hoping I still have the current p/w written down.

Attachments

• FE2.png
    FE2.png
    14.4 KB · Views: 28
Well that's just weird.
I've never heard of that happening before.
Can you revert back to a point before the update?

If you know one of the file names, you can try searching for it. Enable search to check hidden folders as well.

Well that's just weird.
I've never heard of that happening before.
Can you revert back to a point before the update?
Tell me about it. And, it's a first for me, too. :mad:

But, it has happened before, as there are a few articles online about it happening dating back to 2018 (from what I saw; did not check everything)

Problem is, when following those instructions, there is no indication that I've signed in with a temporary account (loss of startup icons, loss of 1 click icons, loss of access to folders and files + a couple of programs, too :eek: ).

And, a problem with doing a Restore, I loose that critical update.

So, much for Windows 10 being better, and more secure. :rolleyes:

If you know one of the file names, you can try searching for it. Enable search to check hidden folders as well.
Had already tried that (less Enable search for hidden files - have not figured out how to do this on Windows10) to no avail.

Though, following the above instructions, I have been able to locate MOST of my folders and files. So, that is :cool:

But, I am still at a loss on how to get out of this temporary account (I have tried the "Sign Out". But, when I booted back up, it went right back to the same situation).

Critical update is a selfmade very strong term for most Window's updates. If anyone else were to label them, it wouldn't be that. If it's the update I think it is, you're most likely better off doing the restore and waiting for them to fix the update. This is the first I've heard of this particular issue with this major update, but there's a lot of other problems with it and most of what they add are quality of life changes that make the system worse imho.

Critical update .... quality of life changes that make the system worse imho.
That was the words used in the article that I read the other day because a exploit had been discovered. Though, it applies to mainly businesses, the article did recommend updating PCs too.

Yeah, tell me about it.

I still miss Windows 7. :cry: Damn MS for forcing Win10 on people. :mad:

Though, I do wish I had the forethought to invest in 'em.

Also, I actually skipped Window 3.1 and Windows 8.

Ugh! Another problem that this update has apparently created...

Loss of Internet connectivity after booting up my PC. But, a reboot, then everything is fine.

Yes, 1 or 2x, I could see that my provider is on the blink. But, now it's happened at least 6 times since the update on Saturday. Le sigh.

This is crazy!!

Yes, 1 or 2x, I could see that my provider is on the blink. But, now it's happened at least 6 times since the update on Saturday. Le sigh.
Sounds like the ethernet port settings got messed with by the update from Mickysoft. If you can make it stay connected for a whole day, then you can breathe a sigh of relief. Then you should create a System Restore point (I realize in the past you've been disappointed by System Restore, but creating a point is pretty foolproof and doesn't even require a reboot). Good luck!

Now if only we can talk you into staying on the North American continent instead of moving so we don't lose you to the trapping of overseas living. :cool:

Also, "lost" bookmarks. :rolleyes:

And, when I tried to print out my Passport application, I kept getting an error. Luckily, this was an easy fix.

Sounds like the ethernet port settings got messed with by the update from Mickysoft. If you can make it stay connected for a whole day, then you can breathe a sigh of relief...
Ironically, I did that today; leaving my PC on all day vs turning it off, then back on.

So, I'll see what happens in the AM.

... Then you should create a System Restore point (I realize in the past you've been disappointed by System Restore, but creating a point is pretty foolproof and doesn't even require a reboot). Good luck!...
(y) Luckily, I do have a SRP that was created before this FUBAR update. :cool:

But, I am still debating whether I should use it, or pay someone to figure out wtf is wrong.

Now, it is more of a irritation vs a big problem. But, if I cannot find a couple of programs that disappeared, I may have no choice.

...Now if only we can talk you into staying on the North American continent instead of moving so we don't lose you to the trapping of overseas living. :cool:
:LOL: No worries, as this is still quite a ways off (though, I do hope to narrow my choices (Costa Rica, Panama, Ecuador, Mexico, Italy and Portugal are the main choices, there are a couple of others that I am looking at, too) down, so I can visit the preferred one later this year.

There are Pros and Cons to moving overseas. The biggest pro (depending on where you go) is a substantial $ savings (I should be able to reduce my expenses by at least US $800.00/month, and that includes regular scheduled domestic help). The biggest con is doing without a lot of stuff that one is accustom to in the states.

But, even if I do make the move, I will still put in time here. (y)

Sounds like the ethernet port settings got messed with by the update from Mickysoft. If you can make it stay connected for a whole day, then you can breathe a sigh of relief...
and
Ironically, I did that today; leaving my PC on all day vs turning it off, then back on.
While it worked for the day, it did not work the next time I turned off my PC, and turned it back on. :(

Not a serious issue. But, still a bit of a pain.

@szarkevero
While I do not have to worry about the Linux link, what are these links?