YouTube Comment Utitlity

Eriongtk

Reaction score
Admin Post:
@Eriongtk sought permission before posting. So, please do not Report it as being Off Topic, as it can be helpful to those who need this.

BQ

I have created a utility in JavaScript that would help with the timestamps, points of interests in videos. My main goal was to help us with finding and cataloging good parts, especially if the video is long - and as a thank you for those who spend countless hours trying to find the good stuff!

Currently, it can do the following:
Place markers
There are 2 kinds of markers you can place:
  • Mark start of a clip
  • Mark end of a clip
  • Mark a single time
Marking start/end of a section is helpful when we want to note that something is happening between X and Y time -helpful is good content abruptly ends (imagine boobs boobs boob suddenly interrupted by a close up shot of a random dude's head) or we want to bring attention to a specific section
Marking a single time is similar to the above, but it is very helpful if we want to just mark a point of interest in the video, and there is no sudden change in mood

Copy current Markers
This will copy the time coded URL to the clipboard, without making any entry - for both Clip (from-to) or Timestamp (single point in time). You can use it if you want to make a quick reply, or you do not need to make a note of it

Taking notes/bookmarks of the video

Add Clip/Timestamp note

This feature will help you to organize the various POIs in the video. It will add your selected time to the list and you can label your selection
You can have as many as you want, and it will keep them in the order of time
Save/Load your notes/bookmarks
You can then save your notes to come back later if you want, the list will be there if you saved them
Each video is tracked separately, so you can have as many tabs open as you want, and you can take notes for each individually, and they will be loaded specifically for that video when you load the Utility again

Undo
It will remove your last entry you created (NOT the last one in the list!), nothing fancy, just your average undo button

Copy
hOnce you are ready to share your findings, it will copy the entire list you have created, along with the youtube links and timestamps.
It will create them in the non-tracking format:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=[video id]&t=[time code]s
this can be important, as video owners will not see the telemetry where the link originated from. When you copy/share the link through YouTube, it creates a
https://youtu.be/[video id]?t=[time code]
link, which is tracking clicks and where they originated from (yes, they will show TiT forum post as origin), the full format prevents unwanted attention.

Once you click it, you can paste it into the editor here, and format it further if you want.

The Utility is still work in progress, but it is usable and I plan the following features to it:
  • Sharing notes directly with the utillity - generate a text, which users can paste and if it is recognized, then it will load the same timestamps and notes the original creator set
  • Compatibility with both Dark and Light themes of YT, currently optimized for Dark, but passable for Light
  • I would be OK implementing user suggested features if they made sense and would not compromise TiT (terms or otherwise)
  • Make it compatible with other (Mod approved) video platforms
The note sharing is something I think could be useful as it would allow us to see the entries in the video rather than having to click each timestamp we are interesting in individually.

DISCLAIMER
  1. Work-In-Progress - things can change as/if more functionality will be added
  2. It does not have ANY telemetry - it does not track, or send any information to me or anyone else, not even "usage statistics"
  3. WORKS in Incognito/Private mode browsing (seen in video)
  4. Will not work on the mobile app, you will need Desktop version of YouTube
  5. Browser's "Local Storage" is used to store note/bookmark data
  6. You can delete the stored data for a specific video by double-clicking Delete All button
  7. You can just reload the video/page to get rid of the utitlity and use YT as normal (even if they have saved content)
Also, very important: please note that Admins/Moderators of this forum has nothing to do with it (please do not bother them with anything related to it!). They will not be able to help.
I will, and I will be gladly helping you with your questions or problems you might have!

How to use it?
  1. Copy contents of YTHelper_<date>.txt (attached)
  2. Open up the video you want to take notes for
  3. Press F12 on your keyboard, or CTRL+SHIFT+I to open up Developer Tools of your browser
  4. Click on 'Console' tab - you might need to click the '»' icon to bring up not visible tabs to see this tab
  5. Paste code into the '»' and blinking icon part of the Developer Tools
  6. I would recommend waiting until page completely finishes loading
  7. Press enter - this will load the code
  8. Pasting and accepting code again will lead to error message, you only need to do it once per loaded page
  9. You can now close the Developer Tools with F12 or CTRL+SHIFT+I
That's it!

If you are done using it, just refresh the page - F5, or open link again

Please check the below videos to see what I am talking about :)

Last updated: 2021/9/16

FAQ
Q: I found a bug/issue, how do I report it?

A: Please be as detailed as possible, "it's not working" is not helpful. Filling out the following template will help me find the issue:
Browser: <your browser's name>
Version: <your browser's version>
Description: <headline of the issue you are having>
Steps: <steps to reproduce (what lead to the issue?)>

Attachments

• 2021-09-16_15-31-47-346.mp4
    15.4 MB
  • 2021-09-16_15-37-07-779.mp4
    10.4 MB
Last edited:
Admin Post:
@Eriongtk sought permission before posting. So, please do not Report it as being Off Topic, as it can be helpful to those who need this.

BQ

I have created a utility in JavaScript that would help with the timestamps, points of interests in videos. My main goal was to help us with finding and cataloging good parts, especially if the video is long - and as a thank you for those who spend countless hours trying to find the good stuff!

Currently, it can do the following:
Place markers
There are 2 kinds of markers you can place:
  • Mark start of a clip
  • Mark end of a clip
  • Mark a single time
Marking start/end of a section is helpful when we want to note that something is happening between X and Y time -helpful is good content abruptly ends (imagine boobs boobs boob suddenly interrupted by a close up shot of a random dude's head) or we want to bring attention to a specific section
Marking a single time is similar to the above, but it is very helpful if we want to just mark a point of interest in the video, and there is no sudden change in mood

Copy current Markers
This will copy the time coded URL to the clipboard, without making any entry - for both Clip (from-to) or Timestamp (single point in time). You can use it if you want to make a quick reply, or you do not need to make a note of it

Taking notes/bookmarks of the video

Add Clip/Timestamp note

This feature will help you to organize the various POIs in the video. It will add your selected time to the list and you can label your selection
You can have as many as you want, and it will keep them in the order of time
Save/Load your notes/bookmarks
You can then save your notes to come back later if you want, the list will be there if you saved them
Each video is tracked separately, so you can have as many tabs open as you want, and you can take notes for each individually, and they will be loaded specifically for that video when you load the Utility again

Undo
It will remove your last entry you created (NOT the last one in the list!), nothing fancy, just your average undo button

Copy
hOnce you are ready to share your findings, it will copy the entire list you have created, along with the youtube links and timestamps.
It will create them in the non-tracking format:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=[video id]&t=[time code]s
this can be important, as video owners will not see the telemetry where the link originated from. When you copy/share the link through YouTube, it creates a
https://youtu.be/[video id]?t=[time code]
link, which is tracking clicks and where they originated from (yes, they will show TiT forum post as origin), the full format prevents unwanted attention.

Once you click it, you can paste it into the editor here, and format it further if you want.

The Utility is still work in progress, but it is usable and I plan the following features to it:
  • Sharing notes directly with the utillity - generate a text, which users can paste and if it is recognized, then it will load the same timestamps and notes the original creator set
  • Compatibility with both Dark and Light themes of YT, currently optimized for Dark, but passable for Light
  • I would be OK implementing user suggested features if they made sense and would not compromise TiT (terms or otherwise)
  • Make it compatible with other (Mod approved) video platforms
The note sharing is something I think could be useful as it would allow us to see the entries in the video rather than having to click each timestamp we are interesting in individually.

DISCLAIMER
  1. Work-In-Progress - things can change as/if more functionality will be added
  2. It does not have ANY telemetry - it does not track, or send any information to me or anyone else, not even "usage statistics"
  3. WORKS in Incognito/Private mode browsing (seen in video)
  4. Will not work on the mobile app, you will need Desktop version of YouTube
  5. Browser's "Local Storage" is used to store note/bookmark data
  6. You can delete the stored data for a specific video by double-clicking Delete All button
  7. You can just reload the video/page to get rid of the utitlity and use YT as normal (even if they have saved content)
Also, very important: please note that Admins/Moderators of this forum has nothing to do with it (please do not bother them with anything related to it!). They will not be able to help.
I will, and I will be gladly helping you with your questions or problems you might have!

How to use it?
  1. Copy contents of YT_U.txt (attached)
  2. Open up the video you want to take notes for
  3. Press F12 on your keyboard, or CTRL+SHIFT+I to open up Developer Tools of your browser
  4. Click on 'Console' tab - you might need to click the '»' icon to bring up not visible tabs to see this tab
  5. Paste code into the '»' and blinking icon part of the Developer Tools
  6. I would recommend waiting until page completely finishes loading
  7. Press enter - this will load the code
  8. Pasting and accepting code again will lead to error message, you only need to do it once per loaded page
  9. You can now close the Developer Tools with F12 or CTRL+SHIFT+I
That's it!

If you are done using it, just refresh the page - F5, or open link again

Please check the below videos to see what I am talking about :)

Last updated: 2021/9/16

FAQ
Q: I found a bug/issue, how do I report it?

A: Please be as detailed as possible, "it's not working" is not helpful. Filling out the following template will help me find the issue:
Browser: <your browser's name>
Version: <your browser's version>
Description: <headline of the issue you are having>
Steps: <steps to reproduce (what lead to the issue?)>
What's going on with this script? Why are there hex-escaped characters in a js script? And why are all your variable names in hex? And would you mind posting the un-minified script so I can go over it?

What's going on with this script? Why are there hex-escaped characters in a js script? And why are all your variable names in hex? And would you mind posting the un-minified script so I can go over it?
Script is obfuscated as to prevent (easy) modifications and weaponizing (making it malicious). I would not mind going through the unobfuscated code with you though.

Script is obfuscated as to prevent (easy) modifications and weaponizing (making it malicious). I would not mind going through the code with you though.
Not sure why you would obfuscate a proprietary but free application, just put a proper open-source license on it. And yeah, it looks legit from what I could see, but I only like to use software I can fully vet when it's from a forum, so I would like to go over it (or just get the actual source if you're willing). As for making it malicious, I think that's covered by your identity on this forum; if anyone else posts another version it'll be illegitimate.

Edit: I should add, demo looks quite nice. Well done

Not sure why you would obfuscate a proprietary but free application, just put a proper open-source license on it. And yeah, it looks legit from what I could see, but I only like to use software I can fully vet when it's from a forum, so I would like to go over it (or just get the actual source if you're willing). As for making it malicious, I think that's covered by your identity on this forum; if anyone else posts another version it'll be illegitimate.
I will send you a link for the unobfuscated version. I have burned myself before that my code was modified and passed as mine still, and I got heat for it, so i am being more careful now. Does not take too much effort to modify that code so that my disclaimer(s) are no longer true. Please look at your inbox for the code.

I will send you a link for the unobfuscated version. I have burned myself before that my code was modified and passed as mine still, and I got heat for it, so i am being more careful now. Does not take too much effort to modify that code so that my disclaimer(s) are no longer true. Please look at your inbox for the code.
Code looks good
@mason2371
After giving it some thought...you are right. As long as people will get it from the attached txt, it does not matter if there are problematic versions.
Always happy to convert someone to the FOSS cause

I want to thank you for this code and the effort that was involved with it.

I just tested it and so far it works great. The only issue I had in the beginning was a coding error while entering the code in the Developer Tool --> Console:

VM588:750 TypeError: clear is not a function
at <anonymous>:2:5

try {
clear()
var keyPrefix = 'TiT_'
var notesArray = []
var mainContainerClass = 'limited-state'
var timeStampClass = 'ytp-time-current'

I removed the clear() from the first variable grouping and it worked fine. I was testing on:

Browser: Chrome
Version: Version 96.0.4664.110 (Official Build) (64-bit)
Description: TypeError
Steps: Entering the code exactly from the text file into the Console tab.

I edit a great many European Wedding and Breastfeeding videos and this will help me a lot.

kraig

Thank you for the feedback!
To be honest, the lack of traffic here made me stop developing it, but if it would help you out, i would not mind continuing it. The clear() was actually an oversight on my part, and yes, removing it did solve it to me as well.
I can also make it so that it will automatically load, but you would need to use a script manager like Tampermonkey which would allow for automatic updates on your (the Client's) side.

I actually have a lot more ideas in mind, I just have to implement them once the holidays are over and I will have more time on my hand.

I only found this thread the day I responded. I love these types of code and have written small snippets of code for things I needed, not as a profession. I am an Oracle Database Administrator so I have written my fair share of bash and shell scripting. Please do continue as you can and I will work with it to see if it can do what I typically use avidemux to edit my videos.

kraig